Pictolang – Language and cultural learning content through authentic imagery
Pictolang is a site dedicated to helping students with their language studies using real images from locations where the particular language is used. The site is broken down into four activity levels:
- Visual Word Trainer – See the word, see the corresponding image
- Picture Match Game – See the word, choose the correct matching image
- Word Match Game – See the image, choose the correct matching word/phrase
- Analyst Game – See the image, identify the language/culture it comes from
Once you choose a game type, you are asked to make a language selection, choosing from up to 15 possible choices including Arabic, French, Spanish, Japanese, and Ukrainian. You will also be asked to select a category topic such as clothing, food, nature, house & home, sports, and more. Your score in both number and percentage correct are kept track of at the bottom of the window.
- This site is an obvious choice as a review tool for students to test their vocabulary acquisition while at the same time be exposed to authentic images from locations around the globe.
- Have students create their own visual vocabulary guides from their own culture(s) using images from their communities.