Chromebooks come with the standard suite of Google Apps including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, etc. that can be accessed from the Waffle icon inside of Google Chrome. Chromebooks have many additional apps as well which can be accessed from the Launcher tool, located in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
From the Launcher window you can:
- Conduct a Google Search (voice command search available!)
- Access recently used apps
- View your entire library of installed apps (All Apps)
From the ‘All Apps’ icon, you will see all of the available apps currently installed on your Chromebook as part of your GSuite account.
- If you have more apps than can be displayed at one time, then use the line spacers at the bottom of the window to cycle through the different pages of apps.
- App icons can be re-arranged and grouped together into folders similar to app management schemes on mobile devices like the iPad.
- To create an group folder, drag one app icon on top of another. Then drag any additional apps into the folder.
- Click to open the app folder and you can then give it a name.
- To remove an app from a folder, drag the app outside of the window. When the main library window is revealed, place the app icon at its new location.
- From this window you can customize your Chromebook toolbar (a.k.a. Apple Dock / Windows Taskbar) with the apps that you use the most, making their use only a single click away!
- Drag apps from the All Apps window to the bottom toolbar that you’d like easy access to. Drag apps that you no longer want in the toolbar to any place on the Desktop to remove the shortcut (this does NOT delete the app, rather the shortcut to the app).
- To add additional apps to your Chromebook, navigate to the Chrome Web Store (Note: there is an app for that in the All Apps menu).
- Click on the ‘Apps’ category or use the Search field if you already have an app in mind.
- Apps with a green ribbon in the top-left corner of their icon have already been added to your account; those without a ribbon have not been added and are not yet available for use.