The Share to Classroom extension for Google Chrome can perform several helpful tasks. Most users use it as a shortcut to open Google Classroom, but there is more to this extension than meets the eye. For example, did you know that it can also be used to push a website out to all of the students that are enrolled in a class? Did you know that the extension can also work in reverse, allowing a student push a website to their teacher so that it can then be pushed out to the rest of the class? Before we delve into how to do this, let’s go get the extension.
Get the Extension
- On your Chromebook, use the Launcher tool to access your Google Apps and locate the Web Store app. You can also open the Chrome app and do a search for Chrome Web Store.
- Locate the ‘Search the store’ box located in the top-left corner of the site, then type in the keywords “share to classroom” and press Enter.
- Under the list of possible Extensions find the entry for Share to Classroom.
- Click the ADD TO CHROME button to start the download.
- When prompted, approve the extension to initiate the install.
Using the Extension
After adding the extension, Share to Classroom should now be accessible from the Chrome menu bar, located to the right of the URL/Search box.
- Classes are organized into the same order as they are displayed in the Classroom app.
- Classes that you create or co-teach in are displayed first under the “Teaching” heading.
- Classes that you are a member of are displayed below under the “Enrolled” heading.
- At the bottom of the extension window are additional tools, help, and settings.
PUSH-ing a Website
As a teacher, you have the ability to ‘PUSH’ a website to the device of each student who is enrolled in the class. This tool comes in very handy when you want to share a website with your students but don’t have time to post the link or perhaps are responding to a teachable moment.
To PUSH a website:
- Open a new tab and navigate to the website you’d like to PUSH to your students.
- Open the Share to Classroom extension, then select the desired class.
- If the extension is able to successfully PUSH the website, then a preview of the site will be displayed in the window.
- When ready, click the PUSH button to transmit.
- Students will receive a pop-up notification window on their devices that the teacher has sent them a PUSH notification, and within seconds automatically open a new tab and load the website that you specified.
- Below the PUSH button, there are menus to that store websites that you have recently pushed to students. This list is temporary and is not meant to replace bookmarking the site for later use.
- If you are enrolled in a class then you cannot PUSH a site to the other members of that class. However, you can submit a website to the teacher for review, who can then PUSH it out the rest of the class. Sites that you have received PUSH notifications for from students can be accessed from here.
Additional PUSH Options
You can create assignments, ask questions, and make announcements to a class directly from the extension. All of the features that you would see when creating one of these artifacts from inside Classroom are available here (due date, topic, etc).
- If the website you PUSH is in fact a native Google Drive file (i.e. Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings), then you will have the additional option of setting the share permissions you want students to have to that file including:
- View only
- Comment only
- Group edit
- The only option that you cannot set here is for every student to get their own copy of the file. To do this, it is recommended that you create the assignment directly from within the Google Classroom app
Shortcut to Classroom
Users can use the extension as a quick shortcut to get to Google Classroom. Navigate to the bottom of the window and click on ‘OPEN CLASSROOM’ to quickly navigate to https://classroom.google.com/
Google always appreciate feedback in order to make their products better. Click on the exclamation mark speech bubble to send them a quick note if you encounter anything amiss with the extension.
Get Help & Support
If you need additional support with the extension, then click the question mark icon to access Google’s Support page on the subject.
Use the Settings tool to control whether or not you receive browser notifications when students PUSH as website to you.