Google likes to promote their cloud services and specifically the ability to work on artifacts in real-time that reflect real-time changes. However, there are still times when hard copies of artifacts are needed and Google recognizes this. Because users cannot install printer software on their Chromebooks, Google has created a cloud-based printing service.
The ‘Select a destination’ Window
1. The print destination selection window is divided into three groups:
- Recent Destinations: This is where your recent print destination will be listed, with the most recent one listed at the top.
- Local Destinations: This option allows you to download a file instead of printing it.
- Google Cloud Print: This option lists all of the printers your account has been given access to. NOTE: This option by default shows the top 5/6 recently selected devices. To see the entire list of available printers, scroll to the bottom of the list and click on the “Show All…” button.
2. Once a printer is selected, use the left-hand sidebar to configure the printer for the desired output from the printer.
3. If you desire more customization options, then go to the bottom of the sidebar and click on the plus sign for “More settings.”
Additional Print Options
If you know the name of the printer you’d like to use, then you can easily start typing the name of that printer into the Search destinations box at the top of the window.
Save to Google Drive
This feature allows you to create a digital file out of the information you have on the screen and save it directly to your Google Drive. This can come in handy when, for example, you want to save a copy of a webpage.
Save as PDF
This feature allows you to create a digital file out of the information you have on the screen and save it to the Files App on your Chromebook. This feature can come in handy when you want to create a local copy of a webpage, or when you want to convert a file to a read-only PDF.
CleanPrint Chrome Extension
Many of today’s webpages are not formatted to print neatly on an 8 ½ by 11 in. piece of paper. When printing in this situation, you may want to consider using the CleanPrint Chrome extension. This tool will remove any ads, images, and other items that take up extra space (and paper), leaving only the important text to be printed. We have deployed this extension to all of our users at York Middle School to help with reducing printer consumables.
To use CleanPrint:
- Navigate to the webpage you want to print.
- Click on the CleanPrint extension icon to have the webpage “optimized” for printing.
- In the CleanPrint preview window, remove any items that you do not need included in the print job, then select the desired output option from the left-hand sidebar menu