UPDATE (March 19, 2019): Google announced several changes to the Activity Dashboard.
- The “View time” tab has been renamed to “Viewers.”
- The new “Viewers” tab icon has been changed from a clock to that of a pair of people.
- For more information, please refer to this article from the G Suite Updates blog.
(The original post continues below)…
When working in a collaborative environment it can be helpful to know who and how many users are taking advantage of the resources you have shared. Google provides various tools with this in mind, from the Details tool in Drive to Version History inside of any Google Doc, Sheet, or Slide file. Now there is a new player joining the team called Activity Dashboard.
How it works
- Open any Google Doc, Sheet, or Slide.
- Locate the Tools menu option.
- From the drop-down list, choose Activity Dashboard.
- In the first of three panels, the View time panel lets you see who the file has been shared with and when they last accessed it.
- Click on the Last viewed column header to adjust the sorting of users.
- Think of this as a way to see how many students have chosen to take advantage of a resource you’ve shared with them.
- If you would like to contact select users and send a follow-up email, then you can do this directly from within the Activity Dashboard.
- In the second panel, Viewer trend lets you see access activity over time.
- Use the drop-down menu in the top-right corner to adjust the time frame, or use the line graph across the top to set a custom time frame.
- Think of this as a way to track how often students have chosen to use a resource you’ve shared with them. Did they access the resource only when you first introduced it? Did they access it right before an assessment? Have they been using the resource throughout the unit of study?
- In the third panel, use Privacy settings to control access to the Activity Dashboard for all Docs, Sheets, and Slides files or for this specific file.
- The details on the Activity Dashboard are only accessible to users who have “Edit” permissions to the Doc/Sheet/Slide file.
For more information on the Activity Dashboard please refer this post on the G Suite Updates Blog.